- We love to pray and ask God to provide or to give us things that we need.
- It’s really not that hard to pray prayers of Thanksgiving and maybe prayers asking for God to save our friends and family.
- Prayer comes easy when our team is losing and we desperately need help to get them a victory!
- And maybe the most common place is at the dinner table.
Winging it might not be a good plan
So what is the solution?
How I’ve seen this in my life
3 great prayers when going through hard times
What kind of prayers should you pray in the middle of disappointment and pain or whatever difficult situation you are going through?
In Matthew 26:39 Jesus models three ways to respond in prayer when facing a difficult situation, “And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, ‘My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.'”
1. God leverage this for your glory
Not as I will, but as you will….
As you go through what circumstance you go through you ultimate goal should always be to bring glory to God.
The ultimate goal of every Christian is to glorify God in everything and anything you do, and that includes the way you respond to difficult circumstances.
2. God get me out or get me through this
If it be possible, let this cup pass from me….
Yes, you want to glorify God in the middle of the storm but that doesn’t mean you stopping being a finite human being.
Fear is real. Pain is real. Suffering is real. Loneliness is real. Depression is real. Hunger is real. Weak will-power is real.
Just because you want to glorify God in the middle of the shadow of death doesn’t mean you can’t pray for relief.
God will not be insulted if you pray for Him to free you from this pain or to get you through this failure while you are seeking to bring glory to His name.
3. Do a work in me
Not as I will…
Your will is strong.
It wants what it wants.
And coming from a sinful nature, your will is normally in opposition to God’s. Jesus wanted to submit to God. His desire was to submit and glorify God.
Jesus walking in perfect relationship with God the father could perfectly submit to Him.
You and I on the other hand, have a long way to go.
You need to be transformed and molded in to the person that will love and obey God faithfully.
And that strong will is precisely what needs to be broken before God can do something in you.
These valleys are perfect environments for God to do a great work in you.
If you will humble yourself to it.
The process starts now
- Write these prayers down somewhere you can access easily.
- Write them out in your own words.
- Write them in a way that is easy for you to recall them.
- Study Matthew 26:39 for yourself.
- Make a commitment to honor God no matter what.
Satan wants you to feel and walk around defeated but God wants to take everything and use it for your good.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Did you find a way to make these prayers accessible?
Have you been allowing Satan to win in the middle of difficult situations?
Is there anyone you know that is going trough something that would benefit from these prayers?
Check out these other resources: